Ted advises international clients on digitalization matters, outsourcing projects, data protection and data analytics as well as on product compliance issues.
Ted has worked for over 20 years in two leading international law firms and has advised some of the world's largest IT service providers on software law issues (e.g. agile development, SaaS, traditional licensing, open source), IT platform matters, data protection and data licensing, as well as know-how protection and IT security issues. For some years now, Ted has been dealing with the legal issues that need to be clarified in connection with the application of blockchain technology; he regularly gives lectures on this subject.
Ted has been in charge of legal advice on IT and business process outsourcing projects with a total volume of over € 3.5 billion. For clients on the customer side, he counterbalances the experience advantage of the service provider thanks to his knowledge. In IT outsourcing, Ted has advised on international IT operations, network, service desk, application development and data center operations agreements in both the banking sector and other industries. In business process outsourcing, he has, amongst other things, drafted production contracts, warehousing and supply contracts as well as facility management contracts for clients from the pharmaceutical sector, from the medtech sector, for event agencies, for manufacturers of security technology, for beverage producers and clients from many other industries.
Furthermore, Ted has extensive experience in providing strategic advice to internationally operating German companies on product liability and product compliance. His clients benefit considerably from his knowledge acquired in the course of leading a large eDiscovery in the automotive sector; specifically, on risks in the US market. His services also include the selection and management of international legal advisors.
As former head of the legal department of a German software provider, he knows the requirements of legal departments for external legal advisors very well.
Ted speaks German (native language) and English.
|2019||Partner of JURICITY Rechtsanwälte|
|2011 - 2019||JONES DAY, Partner M&A and IT Practices (as of 2015 Hiring Partner Frankfurt office)|
|2009 - 2010||JONES DAY, Of Counsel M&A and IT Practices|
|2007 - 2008||JONES DAY, European Counsel M&A and IT Practices|
|2001 - 2007||Linklaters LLP, Junior Partner in the firm's TMT practice (technology, media, telecommunications)|
|1997 - 2001||Oppenhoff & Rädler, Associate in the firm's TMT practice (technology, media, telecommunications)|
|2000||6 months secondment to Reed Smith, Princeton, USA|
|1999||6 months secondment as interim head of legal department to PMS Micado|
|1997||Second State Exam|
|1995 – 1997||Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf, Referendar|
|1994||First State Exam|
|1989 - 1994||University of Cologne, Law School|
Rechtsanwalt · Partner
Mainzer Landstraße 50
60325 Frankfurt am Main
Selected professional legal articles
- Legal assessment: Data access and data protection in digital service systems, in: Thomas Schulz (ed.), Wertschöpfungsnetzwerke mit digitalisierten Dienstleistungen, to appear in 2021, (co-author)
- Blockchain and Law in the context of Industry 4.0, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi, ed.), Results paper of Plattform Industrie 4.0, 2019 (co-author)
- Is the license and remuneration obligation for the indirect use of software invalid under copyright law? Copyright basics of indirect use, CR 2019, p. 73 et seq.
- Banking sector - Relevance of the IT Security Act, in: Platow Recht, Issue dated 19 August 2015
- Commentary on sections 52 to 65 of the German Telecommunications Act ("Frequency Regulations"), in: Wilms/Masing/Jochum (ed.), Telekommunikationsgesetz, Kommentar und Vorschriftensammlung, 2006
- EBS University for Economy and Law (EBS Universität für Wirtschaft und Recht), Wiesbaden – Courses on "Blockchain and the Law" as part of the special focus program "Law of Digitalization", 2019 and 2020
- German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) – Presentation at the workshop "Collaborative use of data in industrial production", December 2020 (presentation available at: https://www.bmwi.de/Redaktion/DE/Textsammlungen/Industrie/zukunftsinvestitionen-fahrzeughersteller-zulieferindustrie.html).
- German Machinery and Plant Manufacturing Association (VDMA e.V.), Blockchain and the Law, Presentation within the framework of the annual meeting of the inhouse counsels, December 2018 (Co-speaker)
- Association of Foreign Banks in Germany (Verband der Auslandsbanken in Deutschland e.V.), New Developments Outsourcing, IT and Data Protection, October 2016 (Co-speaker)